Considering the fact that there are numerous options available for closet organizing, it can become a time-consuming and complex task to pick out the best one. Despite how large a closet may seem, clothing, accessories, and shoes have a way of taking up every inch of usable space. If you are looking to maximize your closet in order to save yourself time and money, read through these handy tips:
Making Life Easier
The best way to begin determining your closet’s storage needs is to begin a inventory of everything that you have within your closet. The more detailed the list, the better. How many pairs of pants do you have? How many shirts do you actually own? Don’t forget the ones stashed away in drawers, just in case.
Once you’ve completed the full inventory of your closet, it’s time to start deciding on exactly what will make your daily routine easier. For instance, say you have a substantial amount of business attire, but you find it rather tedious to plan the next day’s outfits. Just adding a valet rod to your closet could help the process of selecting your apparel that much easier. Winter sweater collection piling up? Perhaps adding a closet island complete with extra drawers would be the optimal choice.
Must-Have Closet Accessories
The following are just a few of the functional accessories available to make your closet more easily managed:
- Consider Adding More Shelves – Add and adjust shelf height as needed, keeping in mind the purpose is to maximize your closet space.
- Valet Rods – Multipurpose closet accessory that allows you to plan your next day’s outfits or your next vacation’s outfits. Also great to use for drying delicates and bathing suits.
- Laundry Hampers – One of the most practical tools in closet accessories, the tilt-out laundry hamper eliminates the space needed for bulky laundry baskets. Most have removable bags, making your next laundry trip much easier.
- Hooks – This highly functional accessory helps to provide a location for items such as belts, scarves, purses, and necklaces.
- Slide-out Storage – Perfect for creating extra closet space, this slide out accessory can house up to 18 neckties, but is less than than 2 inches wide. Once it’s installed in the closet shelving unit of your choice, it’s barely noticeable. Slide-out accessories assist in reducing clutter, while maintaining a tidy space.
Customize Your Space
Your closet should be like a showroom for your favorite apparel and accessories. It is full of all of the items that tell the story about who you are. What are you most passionate about – your shoes, ties, belts? Whatever item or items are most important to you, find an accessory that helps you not only provide its own functional space, but helps to highlight that item as well. For instance, if you’re a shoe fanatic, perhaps you’d want to invest in a wall shelving unit complete with recessed lighting.
Just as there are multiple types of closets, there are multiple styles of closet organizers. You may choose to contact a professional who installs custom closet organization systems, or you may choose to the less expensive route by visiting a home improvement store.